Deforestation: Compromises of a Growing World
With the world growing at a pace hard to match, the increasing need for space is turning out to be an area of concern. With desperate need for land for agricultural, industrial and most importantly urban needs to contain cities and their growing population, a direct action that we have come to recognize as “Deforestation” occurs. Deforestation in simple term means the felling and clearing of forest cover or tree plantations in order to accommodate agricultural, industrial or urban use. It involves permanent end of forest cover to make that land available for residential, commercial or industrial purpose.
Over the last century the forest cover around the globe has been greatly compromised, leaving the green cover down to an all time low of about 30 per cent. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), an estimated 18 million acres (7.3 million hectares) of forest are lost each year.
Deforestation can also be seen as removal of forests leading to several imbalances ecologically and environmentally. What makes deforestation alarming is the immediate and long term effects it is bound to inflict if continued at the current pace. Some predictions state that the rainforests of the world will be destroyed completely if deforestation continues at its current pace.
Read here more about 51 facts about deforestation.
Deforestation or clearance occurs due to several reasons, to get an overview we could include the need of money, both in terms of profitability as well as providing for one’s family in most scenarios, along with lack of or no forest laws, need for land space for housing etc among a long list of other uses. Mainly blamed on agricultural or pastoral use, farmers fell trees for increasing space for cultivation and/or as fodder land for grazing and surviving live stock. The whole concept of ‘slash and burn’ agriculture, is used to indicate this same process where farmers employ the above chain of actions for their purposes.
Causes of Deforestation
1. Agricultural Activities: As earlier mentioned in the overview, agricultural activities are one of the major factors affecting deforestation. Due to overgrowing demand for food products, huge amount of tress are fell down to grow crops and for cattle gazing.
2. Logging: Apart from this, wood based industries like paper, match-sticks, furniture etc also need a substantial amount of wood supply. Wood is used as fuel both directly and indirectly, therefore trees are chopped for supplies. Firewood and charcoal are examples of wood being used as fuel. Some of these industries thrive on illegal wood cutting and felling of trees.
3. Urbanization: Further on order to gain access to these forests, the construction of roads are undertaken; here again trees are chopped to create roads. Overpopulation too directly affects forest covers, as with the expansion of cities more land is needed to establish housing and settlements. Therefore forest land is reclaimed.
4. Desertification of land: Some of the other factors that lead to deforestation are also part natural and part anthropogenic like Desertification of land. It occurs due to land abuse making it unfit for growth of trees. Many industries in petrochemicals release their waste into rivers which results in soil erosion and make it unfit to grow plants and trees.
5. Mining: Oil and coal mining require considerable amount of forest land. Apart from this, roads and highways have to be built to make way for trucks and other equipment. The waste that comes out from mining pollutes the environment and affects the nearby species.
6. Forest Fires: Another example would be forest blazes; Hundreds of trees are lost each year due to forest fires in various portions of the world. This happens due to extreme warm summers and milder winters. Fires, whether causes by man or nature results in huge loss of forest cover.
Effects of Deforestation
1. Climate Imbalance: Deforestation also affects the climate in more than one ways. Trees release water vapor in the air, which is compromised on with the lack of trees. Trees also provide the required shade that keeps the soil moist. This leads to the imbalance in the atmospheric temperature further making conditions for the ecology difficult. Flora and fauna across the world are accustomed to their habitat. This haphazard clearance of forests have forced several of these animals to shift from their native environment. Due to this several species are finding it difficult to survive or adapt to new habitats.
2. Increase in Global Warming: Trees play a major role in controlling global warming. The trees utilize the green house gases, restoring the balance in the atmosphere. With constant deforestation the ratio of green house gases in the atmosphere has increased, adding to our global warming woes.
3. Soil Erosion: Also due to the shade of trees the soil remains moist. With the clearance of tree cover, the soil is directly exposed to the sun, making it dry.
4. Floods: When it rains, trees absorb and store large amount of water with the help of their roots. When they are cut down, the flow of water is disrupted and leads to floods in some areas and droughts in other.
5. Wildlife Extinction: Due to massive felling down of trees, various species of animals are lost. They lose their habitat and forced to move to new location. Some of them are even pushed to extinction. Our world has lost so many species of plants and animals in last couple of decades.
Solutions to Deforestation
1. The best solution to deforestation is to curb the felling of trees, by employing a series of rules and laws to govern it. Deforestation in the current scenario may have reduced however it would be too early to assume. The money-churner that forest resources can be, is tempting enough for deforestation to continue.
2. Clear cutting of forests must be banned. This will curb total depletion of the forest cover. It is a practical solution and is very feasible.
3. Land skinned of its tree cover for urban settlements should be urged to plant trees in the vicinity and replace the cut trees. Also the cutting must be replaced by planting young trees to replace the older ones that were cut. Trees are being planted under several initiatives every year, but they still don’t match the numbers of the ones we’ve already lost.
manyciautaip , [email protected]
Rinkesh is passionate about clean and green energy. He is running this site since 2009 and writes on various environmental and renewable energy related topics. He lives a green lifestyle and is often looking for ways to improve the environment around him.
Latest posts by Rinkesh (see all)
Deforestation is the cutting of trees permanently by the people to clear forests to get free land for further usage like farming, housing, industrialization, urbanization, etc.
Essay on Deforestation
Deforestation is arising as the main environmental and social issue which has now taken the form of more than a powerful demon. We must know about the causes, effects and ways to solve the problems arisen because of the deforestation. We have provided many paragraphs, long and short essay on deforestation in order to help your kids and children to get aware about the problem as well as get participated in the essay writing competition in the school or outside the school. You can select any deforestation essay given below according to the class standard:
Deforestation Essay 1 (100 words)
Deforestation is the removal of forests on a big level by cutting down plants or burning of forests for fulfilling the personal needs. Forests are of great importance for the whole human fraternity as well as managing the natural balance in the environment. However, human beings are regularly cutting down the trees without seeing its side effects on the society and environment. Woods have been of great importance historically from the ancient time and used for many purposes like heating fuel, building houses, ships, paper production and many more daily activities of the human beings. Forests are very necessary for us and our future generations to enjoy and live a healthy and peaceful life in the healthy environment free of pollution.
Deforestation Essay 2 (150 words)
Deforestation is arising as the major global problem to the society and environment. It is like a serious penalty to the planet and indicating the end of life on this planet. The regular cutting of the forests is creating lots of negative effects over the climate, environment, biodiversity, whole atmosphere as well as threatening the cultural and physical survival of the human being. There are many causes of the deforestation such as wood extraction because of the increasing human population and industrial interests of people. Woods are considered as the primary product of the forest and structural component of the physical requirement of the human being.
Exploding human population requires more land to live and harvesting so they need to cut the forests. In this way deforestation is going on more rapidly to fulfill the human needs in many ways. However, the effects of deforestation are faster than the deforestation itself. It is affecting the human lives to a great extent by forcing the negative changes to the environment and atmosphere.
Deforestation Essay 3 (200 words)
Deforestation is the removal of trees on a vast level for fulfilling all the requirements of the growing population. Humans being are so selfish; they are doing deforestation by completely removing the forests without replanting. However, they do not know that unknowingly they are digging a big pit for their own. People are changing the forests into the land forms for getting more wood, fuel, harvesting, making farms, building home and cities to live comfortably.
Deforestation results in many effects like loss of animal home, animals are dying, environment change, seasonal change, increasing temperature, rising environmental heat, global warming, increasing green house gas effect, melting ice caps and glaciers, increasing seas level, weakening ozone layer, hole in the ozone layer, sea animal dying, increasing risks of natural disaster like storm, cyclone, typhoon, flood, drought, and many more negative changes which are enough to last the existence of life on the earth.
Forests plays great role in balancing the human life and environmental cycle by regulating the water cycle, production of soil, providing habitat for animals, providing oxygen, utilizing harmful CO2, regulating environmental temperature, preventing soil erosion and many more. By cutting the forests we are stopping all the positive activities done by forests in the favour of human and environment.
Deforestation Essay 4 (250 words)
Deforestation is the rapid loss of forests by cutting plants regularly without replanting. It is endangering the wildlife, human health and environment. Increasing human population, increasing crowd, increasing competition in the world force human being to cut the forests and establish well developed cities or farms or land for harvesting. In such a competitive world, every nation want to overlap other developed and advanced countries to go ahead and make them powerful. People are in need to cut the forests to make houses, parks, multiplexes, industries, public infrastructure, paper production, fuel, etc. Some greedy people are cutting forests for earning more money by selling woods and increasing the danger to the wildlife and human life.
Wild animals are migrating and dying, original flora and fauna are lasting, environment is changing negatively and disturbing the human life. Natural habitat of the most important animals is destroying because of this some are migrating to other areas or entering to the human areas or dying. We need to preserve trees by stopping the forest cutting or replanting the plants in order to save the animal sanctuary and maintaining the natural cycles of the environment to save the life here in future. Preservation of forests is also necessary to get fresh and healthy oxygen as well as reducing the amount of carbon dioxide gas.
Deforestation lead to increasing air pollution, increasing level of poisonous gases in the environment, increasing soil and water pollution, increasing environmental heat, and many more. All the negative effects of deforestation cause many health disorders and most importantly lungs and respiratory problems.
Deforestation Essay 5 (300 words)
Deforestation is the finishing of the forests by the human beings. Increasing human population day by day is increasing the need for land on the earth for agricultural, industrial, residential, commercial, cities and other purposes which involves permanent forest removal. In the last century, our earth was covered with the forests everywhere however now-a-days only some counted forests exist. Deforestation is a big problem in India as well as other countries. It is a global issue arising as the big environmental and social issue around the globe.
Deforestation disturbs the human lives by causing several imbalances ecologically and environmentally. Deforestation is alarming continuously and indicating the need to stop cutting plants for the safety of human lives. Some people are doing deforestation to fulfill their greediness of earning money from wood. People are cutting plants for their agricultural activities, logging (to make papers, match-sticks, furniture, etc), urbanization (road construction, housing, etc), desertification of land, mining (oil and coal mining), fires (to get heat), etc.
Deforestation is affecting the health of human being and fresh environment through climate imbalance, increasing global warming, soil erosion, floods, wildlife extinction, decreasing level fresh oxygen and increasing carbon dioxide gas and many more. Deforestation is very necessary stop in order to run the life as usual in better way. There should be some strict rules and regulations by the government of the country which everyone must follow to check deforestation. There should be simple and easy ways to make common people aware about the causes and effects of deforestation. Population should be controlled to lessen the need of forests cutting. Whenever any plant is cut, there should be rules for replanting the plants in the place of old one.
Deforestation Essay 6 (400 words)
Deforestation is the permanent destruction of the forests in order to enhance sources for life and use of woods. Cutting plant is not bad however cutting it permanently is bad. If one is cutting plant, he/she should do replanting on the same place or other place. Deforestation is one for many purposes like harvesting, livestock, logging, building houses, furniture, roads, firewood, industrialization, and other many purposes. Deforestation is affecting the environment more badly and more rapidly. Earth was full of forests in the last century however currently around eighty percent of the forests have been cut and destroyed and even rain forests has been disappeared permanently.
Forests are required for the wellness of the wild animals, human being and environment. Because of the deforestation many unique species of the plants and animals has been extinct permanently. The process of plant cutting is disrupting the natural carbon cycle and increasing its level in the environment day by day. Forests are the best medium to utilize the CO2 gas from the environment as well as remove other pollutants from the atmosphere and thus maintain the freshness of the environment. Whenever trees are destroyed or burned by any means it releases carbon and methane which is dangerous for human life. Both of the gases are called as the green house gas and involve in the greenhouse effect which ultimately causes global warming.
Forests are very necessary for the proper rain, getting medicine, air freshness, removing air pollution, getting wood for many purposes, etc. When we cut plants, it disturbs all the cycles and affects human lives. Instead of cutting plants to fulfill the need of paper, we should make the habit of recycling the old things as possible as to avoid the cut of new plants. Just imagine the planet without water, life is not possible. And same way, life is also not possible without plants and forests as they are the source of rain, fresh air, animal habitat, shadows, wood, etc.
Without plant, it is not possible to rain on the earth, nor fresh air, no animals, no shadows, no woods, and medicine. Everywhere would be only heat, warm, drought, flood, storm, carbon dioxide gas, methane, other poisonous gases, no winter season and rainy season, only summer season. We should join our hands together to prevent the deforestation. We should not waste the papers and avoid the unnecessary use of things like paper kitchen towels, facial tissues, etc. We should think about the reuse and recycle of the papers things without wasting them to lessen the need of plants cutting. Saving forests and plants is in our own hand and only a small step from the end of us all may show a big result towards stopping deforestation.
Slogans on Deforestation
Paragraph on Deforestation
Speech on Deforestation